Living With An Allergy
Yesterday my daughter had an appointment with her allergist. I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned, but she has a peanut allergy. It’s bizarre to think a simple food that I grew up eating constantly can be deadly to my child.
Luckily, she didn’t have to retest yesterday (the scratch test is no fun). It was simply a check up, and the doctor wanted to make sure she hadn’t had any exposure in the last year (and thank goodness, she hasn’t!)
She was a bit nervous (who isn’t nervous going to the doctor?) but she did great.
Today is National Pie Day, and I wanted to write a blog post sharing some of my favorite pie recipes. However, her appointment yesterday made me start thinking about all of those who suffer from a food allergy who may not be able to use most regular recipes.
According to FARE (Food Allergy Research and Education), approximately 15 million people in the United States have food allergies. I thought it would be nice to do a round up of some pie recipes that are free of the top 8 allergens: Milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soy.
- Banana Cream Pie For All from Go Dairy Free
- Dairy-Free Salted Caramel Ice Cream Pie from Allergy Free Alaska
- Easier than Pie, Apple Galette from My Gluten-Free Miami
- Allergy-Friendly Peach Pie from Allergy Awesomeness
- Easy Crustless Pumpkin Pie from The Fit Cookie
- Berry Mint Skillet Pie from Allergylicious
- Allergy-Friendly Pumpkin Mousse Pie from Allergy Awesomeness
If you have a food allergy, or have someone in your life that does, I hope these recipes will be a great go-to for any occasion featuring pie.
Go out (or stay in) and enjoy some delicious pie today!